Safe Driving Strategies
Smart driving decisions are a critical part of ensuring we have safer streets. How we drive is a reflection of the respect we have for our communities. By making more conscious and conscientious choices when you’re behind the wheel, you can do your part for Street Smarts Marin. Here are a few basic rules for safe driving:
Don’t be a distracted driver:
- Adjust mirrors, seats, radio, GPS, and other devices
before driving off.
- Secure passengers and pets before driving.
- Give children toys, books, games, or other ways to occupy themselves.
- Don’t eat or drink while driving.
- Avoid using cell phones.
- Never text or use other devices while driving.
- Avoid arguments with passengers.
- Keep your attention focused on the road,
not your passengers.
- Do not apply makeup, shave, read, smoke...just drive.
Follow the rules of the road:
- Drive the speed limit or slower based on road conditions
- Always stop at stop signs and lights.
- Respect the right-of-way of others (including cyclists).
- Stop for pedestrians crossing the street.
Be alert and courteous:
- Slow down and allow others to merge.
- Maintain a consistent speed and keep a buffer zone
between you and other cars.
- Slow down when you see a yellow light.
- Remember, you may encounter pedestrians and cyclists
anytime and anywhere.
- Don’t assume pedestrians see you or that
they will act predictably.
- Reduce your speed and always watch for kids
and pets in neighborhoods.
- Slow down and watch for children in school zones.